giovedì 20 dicembre 2012

My neightbourhood : Lajpat Nagar

Hey guys, I am back! And from now onwards I will write only in English (no more Italian) so that the majority of you can read my blog :)

Today I want to share with you how life is in Lajpat Nagar, a very busy area in South Delhi where I moved on October.

Lajpat Nagar is well-known for Central market, a crazy place where you can find any kind of stuff Indian people usually need: Sari, salwaar kameez, shawls, shoes (especially slippers), kitchen vessels, cups, carpets, etc.. The Indian flavour is very much highlighed so if you think to buy a pair of jeans and sneakers, go somewhere else ;)

The worst days to visit this market are Saturday and Sunday: the entire Indian family likes to roam around the narrow lanes of this open bazaar to bargain - more than to buy - for everything is colourful and can be accommodate in their houses! Apart from stalls, there are also few proper shops on the main road but they cannot compete with the number of visitors of the small small One- Item stalls made attractive by the loud voice of the street vendors: "Sau rupaye! Idhar aao madam! acchi cizen hain hamare paas! (only 100 INR! Come here madam! We have very good stuff!)

Visiting the market is also an occasion to try tasty and oily Indian street food: belpuri, paani puri, sweet corn, aalu tikki, guava, pinapple, and bhuna channa (roasted chickpeas): everything is extremely spicy but cheap and filling! In my case I have to carry 2 packets of tissue papers since my nose after the very first bite starts running... after 4 years in India it's a shame!!

Apart the market Lajpat Nagar hosts few good restaurants (a very good one is Chung Wa, a chinese cosy restaurant which also serves alcohool; an afghani restaurant with all kinds of kabaabs and mutton dishes) plus  two coffee day shops and the terrible american chains famous for Italian (!) pizza: Domino and Pizza Hut.

The violet metro line connects very well this area with South and Central Delhi (few stops to reach the posh Khan Market and GK1) and it really helps my daily life: less time spent in the crazy traffic of Delhi, sleeping 30 minutes more in the morning (I go to work by metro) and a good reserved coach for women in the train (less people staring at me as I were an alien!).

The best thing is that I developed a friendly relation with my neightbours: I start my day with the watchman's smile (Namaste madam ji! kaesi hai aaj?/Good morning madam! how are you today?) and I always find the same familiar faces at the metro station. I always go to buy my bread, fruit and yogurt from the same supermarket so once I step in they give me immediately a basket and sometimes 2 rupees discount :) when I need to buy cigarette they already know what I need and immediately they hand Classic Mild to me. The chemist of course knows me well (He knows all my problems and weaknesses!). The woman who irons clothes reminds me a time I have never had a chance to live (but my mum did), when nobody could afford an iron at home and there was always someone right for you to help you with daily housework.

And whenever I try my bad Hindi with riksha drivers and shopkeepers, it really helps to make them look at me in a different way: they feel I can be one of them, not 100% but at least 20!

Thanks a lot Lajpat Nagar for adopting me!!





1 commento: